Consortium Highlights (2018-19)
- Anniversary: Celebrating 27 years
- Membership: 45 founding members in 1992; 177 institutional members today
- Investment Fund: Over $1,000,000
- Publication: ASIANetwork Exchange, A Journal for Asian Studies in the Liberal Arts. Two issues per year. Member of Open Library of the Humanities
- Annual Conference: Keynote speakers, panel sessions, networking opportunities. Over 200 participants
Grants Received ($12,007,832 total)
- Nine grants totaling $2,745,000 from The Henry Luce Foundation
- Eleven grants totaling $7,754,658 from the Freeman Foundation
- Two grants totaling $700,000 from the Mellon Foundation
- Grant of $436,000 from The Ford Foundation
- Matching grant of $1,500 from The United Board for the creation of the 1999 ASIANetwork Development Plan
- Two grants totaling $4,674 from The Japan Foundation for annual conferences in 2000 & 2002
- Grant of $1,000 from the Korea Society for the 2003 annual conference
Joint Grant Projects ($365,000 total)
- With Hong Kong-America Center (HKAC): $65,000 from The Fulbright-Hays Group Projects Abroad Program
- With Center for Educational Exchange with Vietnam (CEEVN) & American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS): $300,000 from The Henry Luce Foundation
Programs and Projects: Ongoing and Completed
- 2018-present: Leverage the expertise and experience of ASIANetwork members to create a comprehensive, digital resource guide to assist member colleges in the teaching about Asia. Supported by The Henry Luce Foundation.
- 2010-present: Provide grants to support Postdoctoral Teaching Fellows in Asian Studies; grants to 28 member schools; funded through 2020. Supported by The Henry Luce Foundation.
- 1998-present: Support student and faculty mentor projects in Asia; 227 grants to 1096 student and faculty fellows from 110 member schools through summer 2019. Supported by the Freeman Foundation.
- 1994-present: Established the Asian Studies Consultant Program to help member institutions build their Asian studies programs; 22 consultancies from 1994-98 with support from a Luce Foundation grant and 50 from 1998-present.
- 2011-2018: Conduct faculty development seminars: India in 2011, South Korea in 2012, Vietnam in 2013, India in 2014, Thailand in 2015, Japan in 2016, Indonesia in 2017, and China/India in 2018. Supported by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- 2011-2013: Provided opportunities for AN member faculty and students to study environmental issues in Asia. Supported by The Henry Luce Foundation.
- 2005-2007: Supported the visit of eight Vietnamese scholars to member schools and reciprocal visits to Vietnam National University by host school faculty in 2006 and 2007. Supported by a Luce Foundation grant to ASIANetwork and CEEVN/ACLS.
- 2005: Sent 15 faculty members from different member schools on the Pearl River Delta Faculty Development Seminar through grants from Fulbright-Hays and Hong Kong-America Center.
- 2004-2014: “Asian Art in the Undergraduate Curriculum” project provided art consultants to 25 schools with Asian art collections; supported by The Henry Luce Foundation. Reading Asian Art and Artifacts: Windows to Asia on American College Campuses, published by Lehigh University Press and Rowman & Littlefield in 2011.
- 2001-2005: “Securing the Future of ASIANetwork,” grant from the Luce Foundation to support the website, newsletter, conferences, and investment fund.
- 1998-2000; 2004: Sent two representatives from 25 member schools to Asia (one administrator and a faculty member) to support the creation of the Term-in-Asia program. Supported by a grant from the Freeman Foundation.
- 1998-2000: Published Asia in the Undergraduate Curriculum. Supported by a grant from the Luce Foundation.
- 1995-1999: Sent 39 faculty participants to three-week summer Faculty Curricular Development Program – two programs at member schools, two in Asia. Supported by the Ford Foundation.