23nd Annual ASIANetwork Conference
Spring 2015 Conference
Renaissance St Louis Grand Hotel
St Louis, Missouri
April 10-12, 2015
ASIA: BODY AND SPIRIT
Hosted by Webster University
The 2015 ASIANetwork Conference theme is ASIA: BODY AND SPIRIT. As Asianists, we study vastly different aspects of life in Asia: the languages, arts, histories, literatures, philosophies, religions, social structures, political systems, economies, and environments. But all of these aspects have something in common, which is the emphasis on the peoples of Asia. As scholars and teachers, we devote our intellectual attention to the understanding of human experiences in Asia. They are always embodied, and spiritual life is often a significant part.
At this year’s conference, we honor the embodied nature of Asian societies as well as their spiritual lives. Furthermore, we hope to find ways to explore how the spiritual is mediated through the body, and how the embodied nature of society affects the production of cultures, politics, economics, and the environment. These are issues that we encounter in our historical studies of Asia, and they are also essential to our understanding of Asian societies today.
Possible ideas for panels or individual papers might include – but not limited to – the following:
- Spiritual exercise in philosophy
- Meditation and religion
- Myths and rituals
- Embodied and/or gendered experiences in religion
- Embodied and/or gendered experiences in literature
- The social construction of health and illness
- Food consumption as social practice
- Sexuality and social order
- Digital technology and the changing boundaries of the self
- Between humans and nature: the politics of environmental studies
- The spirit of capitalism in contemporary Asia
- Economics and Asian values
PLEASE NOTE: ASIANetwork will provide LCD projectors but panelists must bring their own laptops (MAC users: you will need to bring the MAC video adaptor).
The application deadline is August 31, 2014. You may email Dr. Anna Sun, Program Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions regarding panel or paper submissions.
Important Dates for 2015 Conference
- Deadline of Panel or Paper Proposals: August 31, 2014
- Deadline for Amoloza Conference Travel Award application: August 31, 2014
- Notification of Proposal Acceptance: October 1, 2014
- Early Conference Registration and payment (required for panel participants; panelist’s name will not be printed in the program without early registration): February 1, 2015
- Regular Conference Registration: March 1, 2015