Asia in Undergraduate Education:
Integration, Enhancement and Engagement
The 2019 ASIANetwork Conference theme focuses on integrating, enhancing, and engaging Asia-related topics in undergraduate curricula. What are the various methods–coursework, study abroad, community engagement, research, internships, etc.–that have been used to enhance knowledge and understanding of Asia in different disciplinary contexts? What kinds of interdisciplinary and collaborative approaches have been used to enhance Asia-related themes and Asian Studies?
Presenters are encouraged to focus on issues such as the following:
- Integrating Asia in interdisciplinary programs such as Gender and Women’s Studies, International Studies, Environmental Studies, Global Studies, etc.
- Integrating online sources and digital technology/new media into Asian Studies curricula
- Involving students in collaborative research–on campus and in Asia
- Enhancing Asian Studies or Asia-related themes through institutional collaboration among US institutions
- Infusing Asian topics into community engagement or service activities
- Enhancing knowledge of and experience in Asia through study abroad programs, internships, and other experiential education opportunities
- Fostering international collaborations to support Asian Studies
- Incorporating Asia into General Education curriculum
- Supporting Asia-related scholarship and professional development for faculty
- Recruiting faculty and students into Asian Studies programs and courses
- Performing assessment and evaluation of Asian Studies programs or Asia-related courses